Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
chrisp

Does anyone have an interest in Flexible Sunglasses?

I was thinking about designing replicas of Oakley Gascans in an attempt to successfully print them in flexible pla, which will then allow the use of the original lenses to be popped in and out as needed. They have a much easier curvature to print than most of the other styles and I believe they will work.

If all goes well, I have a design that just might work with ninja flex. From all of the information I gather, ninja flex is super strong and stretchy. My design requires the sticky/stretchy factor to promote the frames to just sit on one's nose without the use of arms. I guess it could be directly described as the style worn by Morpheus in the Matrix, but they are far from the same design.

I would be willing to work together with someone who has the same interests.

Chrisp you should definitely contact AaronAlai about the glasses. He already designed and printed his own glasses and also found a way to have to lenses attached professionally.

Yeah, I remember AaronAlai's design and I also designed a couple pairs before that, which I successfully printed. These are more aerodynamic and much harder to print. I would really appreciate it if someone could take my original file and add proper support in Meshmixer so I can test out my print again. I am having trouble using Meshmixer and don't have the time to learn it properly.

Here is what my print came out like back in December, this was my 3rd print ever. This is fresh off the build plate without support. (well, support touching build plate only)

20131222 082328

Here is the same pair after I sanded and painted.

20131224 181636

I can easily design these so the arms are hinged. All I need to do is create the cavity for the lens to sit in. I don't see it being an issue to mount the lens.