Cura layer heights limits

Posted · Cura layer heights limits

What are the layer heights limits of Cura?

I used to be able to print at 20micron with Netfabb, can Cura do that too or is the slicing limit set to 60 micron? If so, is there any project to reach 0.02 layer height in the nearly future?

On the other hand instead what is the biggest layer height? 0.25 is low quality print, but can it be also 0.4?

Have you tried? I can set it to both 0.02 and 0.4 without problem. However, I personally never go below 0.06 as I think results starts to get worse again below that height (your results may vary). And also going above about 0.3 isn't the best either. You actually get a warning when going above 0.32 (the field turns yellow). Your nozzle is squeezing out a strand of plastic that is 0.4mm, imagine what happens if you try to print at that height, the next layer can't press into the first, it will be lying on top instead of being fused into the previous layer.

0.02 is no problem for Cura (it may be for the printer, or the particular material you use, but not for Cura).

I think Cura can use pretty much any layer height - I just sliced a model with 20 mm layer height. Looks amazing.

That doesn't have anything to do with "is it actually printable or not". But Cura can do it.

You probably haven't switched to Expert mode yet (Expert -> Switch to full settings). You can just put in any values you like and see if it slices (with Layer view).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies