Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
kerry

Live and learn

A guy at work wanted me to print http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:331876 for him. So I loaded it up in Cura, looks good, set print parameters and copy to SD. Start print on UM2 and it looks like my extruder is clogged. It doesn't look like anything is coming out, or maybe just a little bit of plastic. Actually, some plastic is coming out, but it is just blobbing together.

1) Check, recheck, check again that filament is being fed.

2) Print. No joy.

3) Check extrusion again. And again.

4) Print. No joy.

5) Switch to different spool of plastic.

6) Print. No joy.

7) Relevel bed.

8) Print. No joy.

9) Relevel bed really low this time.

10) Print. Slightly improved, but no joy.

11) Look REALLY closely at model in Cura. Set viewpoint to just above surface. See that that the model is floating very slightly above the surface.

12) Accept that 2 1/2 hours of my life has gone by learning a new lesson in 3D printing - ALWAYS make sure that the model is lying flat on the platform.

Kerry, good catch. Usualy you are able to spot those things rather quick in layers view. I you print with skirt (or brim) like me all the time you can tell just by looking at the skirt that something is not right.