Turning the UM in a laser cutter

Posted · Turning the UM in a laser cutter

From my point of view a great idea as long it has enough power for cutting not only paper and cardboard - and is safe.

There is another solution I found with an (max) 2.8W laser - also available in US. Initially designed for a Ma****ot, but with a nice implementation manual for a UM1

see here: http://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=1336

I see goggles. Goggles with lasers are good. Make sure you have them, use them. (Which is why I'm not a fan of lasers in open machines)

He is providing laser goggles too in the order :) Also the laser he's providing seem to be able to happily cut through acrylic. Is the UM PSU 24v? Couldn't find much info about that on the UM wiki page.

UM PSU is 19 for the UM Origonal.

UM2 PSU is 24V.

And the HeatedBedUpgradeKit for the Origonal will come with a 24V PSU.

Oooh thank you Daid, do you have a release date for the HeatedBedUpgradeKit for the UM1?

Oooh thank you Daid, do you have a release date for the HeatedBedUpgradeKit for the UM1?

No. I have no idea how long it takes to get numbers in stock and everything ready for full production. (It's currently in beta-testing)

Is it legal to import these lasers into Europe?

It sure does sound tempting. Especially the "engraving PCBs" part. I never order my PCBs with silkscreen because of the costs, and that could really be an interesting replacement for the silkscreen...

I don't think you can reliably cut something like acrylic with a 2W laser. The FabLab Zurich laser is a 75W model which doesn't always succeed in fully cutting though 5mm acrylic. Depends on the settings, sure. But power is usually at 100%.