Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
madwinter

Overhang speed

Hi,

Is there anyway to define the "overhang speed" ? Just like infill or wall speed, it would be awesome if you could set the overhang speed, e.g. for an angle > ~60%, reduce the speed while printing.

Cheers,

Marcus

I did experiments and found that for very small parts speed affects overhang quite a bit but for large parts it doesn't. It turns out cooling is very important where there are overhangs.

So maybe a better feature would be the current "minimum layer time" but have an alternate, slower layer time for areas with overhang. But really the two numbers are probably 5 seconds for vertical and non-overhangs and 10 seconds for parts with 45 degree or worse overhangs. This is a feature that isn't really needed that much as I assume most people usually print larger parts that need more than 10 seconds per layer most of the time anyway so just upping the existing min layer time to 10 seconds might be all we really need.