Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
targeter

Poor surface quality on parts with retarction

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1009-bad-surface-quality/

Ive uploaded some pictures in this album of my attempt to print emmets folding lamp shade thing.

And the print quality is horrible. Lots of odd layers and blobs.

I need help and advice to what im doing wrong, or if its something worn down on the printer.

You have two completely different problems. The lower area has problems caused by overhangs I think. The upper area has basically slicing issues. What version of Cura are you using? There was a bug introduced recently and then fixed in the latest version that can cause the problems on the upper areas of the shade.

You might be able to improve the upper area by having a shell of .8 (2 passes).

The lower area will be improved if you slow it down quite a bit and it's critical that the fan is on 100% to get good quality surfaces. Try 20-35mm/sec just to see what happens. Let it print for 24 hours if that's what it needs.

A third issue: there are some layers that look thicker - as though the Z didn't move enough. I would grease the Z screw and move the bed up and down to make sure it isn't getting stuck on some layer moves. Also consider .2mm layer height as the thinner you go the more likely you get these long horizontal bands.

Yes, just pushed that to address some UM2 firmware issue that I didn't fix properly. (Or, "I should have listened to Simon")

I guess it's the same as the hex file that illuminarti linked in an other subject?

The new feature with first layer width (there's a typo in the label with instead of width) is it possible to specify more than 100% ?