Infill scaled with nozzle size

mastory

Posted · Infill scaled with nozzle size

Just changed over to my .8mm nozzle to make some fast parts.

I didn't look over the Layers View very closely before I hit print. I had infill set for 20% as usual to get a smooth top with 6 solid layers.

It looks like the code generated only about 10% fill, or one .8 line every 8mm as I scale it. I can handle this knowing about it. Just reporting it because as the behavior caught me off guard.

Is it functioning as it should? When I set the nozzle back to .4mm, the infill looks to be .4 lines every 4mm or 10% as I see it. I only made the .4 setting to see it in the slicer. Didn't actual print and measure.

Matt

On an aside, I wish all those extra layers I printed on my near perfect bottoms could be moved to the tops so I could use the sparse infill and still get a nice finish on top. i.e. different settings for top and bottom thickness.

Cosmetically, I could get by with a single bottom layer, but I almost always print 6 so there is adequate top layers for a smooth finish.

So I thought I would doule my density up to 40%. Way more dense than double 20%

Playing around a bit more, there is a big jump in infill density when I bump from 24 to 25%. 24 is too little, and 25 is alot more than needed.

It seems like the percentage is realistic above 25%, and about 1/2 of the stated density below 25%

Below 25%, it prints the grid in both directions on each layer.

Whereas, above 25%, it only prints the grid in one direction per layer. So, you only get half as much plastic on each layer, compared to the behavior at 24%. To make up for this, it puts the lines twice as close together.

Thanks Illuminarti, I get what you're saying. Can't say that I follow the logic. It doesn't lend itself to intuitive understanding. Daid can do what he wants to (or what he finds feasible) though I guess. I do appreciate!

To me, the spacing between the infill lines is more important than the actual overall density. It happens that with the larger nozzle setting, the spacing I need is skipped in the jump from 24 to 25%.

I'm not disagreeing at all - I wish it was more consistent too. Especially as the 'every other layer' infill tends not to print well a lot of the time, due to the fact that it's always bridging.

But it is what it is....

I agree that being able to specify how far the infill lines is preferrable. It gives better control over how far solid layers have to bridge.

I'm not disagreeing at all - I wish it was more consistent too. Especially as the 'every other layer' infill tends not to print well a lot of the time, due to the fact that it's always bridging.

But it is what it is....

Yes, The infill below 25% is probably stronger because the ribs stay intact. For the parts I was printing last night, I was able to make 25% do. The spacing was what I wanted and the tops finished nice, but the infill is really just a bunch of pillars.