Surface inequality at 100 microns

jozef

Posted · Surface inequality at 100 microns

Hi,

I just got my first private Ultimaker. I bought used from a local guy. I tried to check the print quality, but I found out, on 100 microns the surface seems not as smooth as with 200-300 microns. Does anyone else experiencing this? Is there any solution to resolve it?

Thanks, J.

wbxvfs.jpg

Is this UM1 or UM2? What speed are you printing? Slower is often better, eg. surface smoothness at 20 mm/sec looks much better than 40 mm/sec on my UM2 printer, at 100 micron layer thickness. I also wonder if different versions of firmware may make a difference.

I only just got my printer and have mostly used 0.1 or 0.14 mm layers, I have not tried 0.2 mm or larger.

That is pretty much what I get for the 100 microns and 200 microns. It seems bad when you print straight vertical, until you print angling wall which makes a complete difference.

If you are only printing cylinders, then yes, .2mm is probably better. And you can make the lines disappearwith many different techniques. The best would be vapor solute. Is that what you want? The tiny lines to disappear even when you shine light off it perfectly like in the photo?

Oh wait - is it the vertical lines you want to disappear? I think you need to be more clear what you want. The vertical lines are not typical. I'm wondering how many polygons you have for that circle and how fast you were printing. Cura can only plan 10 to 20 line segment moves in advance and it needs to be ready to come to a complete stop so if there are too many polygons it slows down and can cause some overextruding like in your picture. Also temperature affects the vertical lines - I can send you a photo if you want. Or you might be on the edge of underextruding (printing too cold or too fast).