Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
meagan

Filament grinding and not feeding!!

Can someone tell me why this is happening!! My filament is grinding in the feeder and not feeding. First time it happened because I think the pla got hung up on the spool. I had no problem fixing it by using the change material function. I did have to pull on it a little so that the feeder was able to get to the high spot. But now it's stuck and have to pull on it with a lot of force to try to get it out. I didn't want to damage anything, is there some sort of tension setting that I am missing??

Did you cut off the damaged part when you put it back in?

You should be sure and upgrade to the latest firmware in Cura 14.07 - that fixes a bunch of things that make grinding more likely at the start of the print.

Finally, you can adjust the tension on the feeder by turning the adjustment screw (accessed through the hole in the top of the extruder, above the white indicator mark). Turning the screw anticlockwise (as viewed from the top) will lower the indicator, as it increases the tension.

I finally got the filament out. Not sure what happened but I believe that it may have been possible that the filament was somewhat melted to the inside of the bowden tube when it went to remove the material. It was really hard to get out of there! On the plus side I had to take off the cover to the feeder so now I know how that works inside :)

Where should my tension be set? Should I always just listen for the clicking noise??

If your printer is newer than Mid-March, then the tension indicator should be one-third to halfway down. Relatively speaking, the clicking back is a good thing, because it means the filament isn't being chewed up.

The 14.07 firmware update from software.ultimaker.com will probably make a big difference.