Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
meagan

Removing support from prints

I was just wondering how people remove their support structure from there prints. I am using cura and mesh mixer. Mesh mixer supports are pretty straight forward but cura is really annoying!! I've wrecked quite a few of my prints trying to get them off. I must be doing something wrong.

It`s one of those questions without really an answer... because everybody`s models are different with diff supports. I know what you are saying with Cura supports, they are ok on surfaces which do not matter but they suck when it comes to supporting surfaces which need to be aesthetically pleasing.

Stanley Knife

Pliers

and occasionally I heat up the Soldering Iron and melt the buggers off :) If you have a few spare rubbish screwdrivers, grind them down so that they fit your soldering iron, then you can make all sorts of useful shapes :)

I hate cura support because it supports surfaces that don't really need it. I only need it when the angle is greater than 80 degrees from vertical. Even then I don't always need it unless it's something hanging in air like the finger tips of a person with their hands hanging downward.

When I *do* use supports I always use meshmixer now or I design them in cad.

Often I can cut a model in half to avoid overhangs and supports.

Cura support really seems like it is designed for dual print heads where you print a support material with the other head and then melt it off with some kind of solvent.