PLA in open air

hummel

Posted · PLA in open air

How humid is it where you keep it?

You probably won't see a dramatic change in print quality, but print something, and see if it is degraded.

Best to put it in a new sealable plastic bag.

Posted · PLA in open air

Hi,

Totally depends on witch PLA I guess, I have a 2 year old grey roll of PLA, still flexible and useable.

Some other rolls, after a month, break overnight in the printer.

Somewhere on this forum should be a storage topic.

Posted · PLA in open air

I got 2 rolls in broken package from Ultimaker. One roll was cut open by a knife or sharp object, probably before being put in the shipping box. The other bag was destroyed by bad packing from Ultimaker.

I was not planning on using them right now.

The humidity, all I can say right now is as it is in south Germany, :-) I can try to measure it.

Posted · PLA in open air

I have my rolls in a drawer, not sealed but I keep them with all the small humidity bags that come with the rolls. The room humidity is kept mid to low in the room and so far its good. My rolls coming from Ultimaker had circle holes in them so they clearly have never been sealed. If they are new and already broken you can always try and contact Ultimaker directly although I don't think they need to take responsibility. My package was open by the customs so they could have something to do with your broken shipment too.

I fond a shop near my place so I order new filaments from them now. I can at least make sure its in good condition when I get them.

Each material have its own tolerance to humidity and each brand too (PLA, Nylon, ABS, ...)