Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
henry-tong

Ultimaker 2 Bed Calibration Strangeness

Using CURA 14.07 and latest version of firmware from July 2014

Hi

I'm printing a full bed width piece using a raft and supports touching the buildplate.

I've calibrated a few times but it seems when the raft starts printing, it is fine on the left side then the head starts to touch the bed (ie. grinding noise) when it starts to move to the right side of the bed. The bead looks fine on the left side but you can see it starting to squish and widen as it moves to the right.

Any idea what is causing this? Maybe I'm not calibrating correctly or something but it seems like a very straightforward process.

Thanks

Henry

Something is not level. I recommend you get pronterface:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

It's free and easy to use. Set Z to .1 or whatever you think your paper thickness is (typical printer paper is about .1mm) then move the XY head around to many parts of the print bed - Try 9 points maybe in a grid. Or 16 points. Test it all over and adjust with screws and test again. Maybe your gantry rods are bent. Maybe your glass is under too much pressure and bends while in the bed. But I suspect you just have the leveling off by a bit. I also recommend the bottom layer of your raft be .3mm so that leveling to an accuracy of about 1mm is fine.

You can set Z to .1 by homing the Z and then do gcode:

g0 Z0.1

You can then turn off all steppers and push the head around by hand but careful you don't bump the Z or you have to re-home it.