Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
dirkdirk

Support depending on alignment?

The support is generated with a projected bitmap. Which causes these kinds of artifacts.

Maybe you could explain this for my? I do not understand how the same model is supported different depending on alignment?

So i have to check every possible alignment before printing for best supports?

Maybe you could explain this for my? I do not understand how the same model is supported different depending on alignment?

So i have to check every possible alignment before printing for best supports?

What Cura does, is kinda like this:

NGKuKPB.png

So it takes the object. Looks from the top. However, it does this at a lower resolution. In the last picture, if there is enough purple, support is added there.

Some smoothing is done on the final support. And the resolution at which this is done is actually higher then what I show here, but I hope it helps in understanding what is happening.

I feel a little dumb now but I don't see why a projected bitmap from top would be different when he is rotating the part on plane parallel to the bed? Or is it related to the "squares" background? Even so, it is hidden by the part...

I hate when I don't get it =) (especially when 2 people like your answer Daid -unless they just pretended understanding it :-p-)