Printed Test-Robot has erratic edges

rb-he

Posted · Printed Test-Robot has erratic edges

Hello Ultimaker Community & Support Staff!

The company i work for has acquired an Ultimaker2 which i assembled & calibrated (according to the manual of course) today. when i ran the test print program of the ultimaker robot (twice), the results were not really pleasing. the hands and the lower part of the belly are very erratic, it seems like the PLA was too hot and sort of flowed downwards when there was no material beneath it to support it. it is mostly the areas in which the outline gets bigger so the newly added PLA has nothing to "rest" upon and is hanging in the air, like the lower part of the belly (where the belly "starts" kind of). this is pretty hard to describe i hope you get what i mean.

which kind of defects could lead to this sort of problem? i hope you can help me soon (i will try to upload a picture of the robot)

To upload picture click on "gallery" link in top left of this page, then UPLOAD button. Then edit your existing post or add a new one and click "my media" next to smile icon.

You should follow your own posting - click "follow this topic" on the top right of this page. I hate answering questions like this when the questioner doesn't follow his own topic and he might not come back for a month.

This is an extremely commonly asked question. You can get almost perfect results on the UM Robot with no support added and no changes to your printer but it's a more difficult print than most things you will print (hopefully).

This question has been answered in many places on this forum already but the quick answer is:

• Layer height .1mm

• Print two robots at the same time to get antennas perfect. "cool head lift" is a good compromise if you are impatient.

• Speed 20mm/sec - yes this is slow. It's agonizingly slow. If you want absolute perfect quality you have to print this slow. I usually print 35mm/sec for high quality and 75 for medium quality but if you want to see what this baby can do print at 20mm/sec.

• Print cool - 190C. Never print this cool at higher speeds (50mm/sec and 190C is not going to cause underextrusion, ground filament, and or clogged nozzles). 210C should be cool enough and safer but 190C tends to print a little better.

Print speed and temperature you will need to adjust a lot depending on quality desired and how much time you are willing to wait. Here is a graph of max print speeds for a given temperature and layer height (dark blue line):

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4127-um2-extrusion-rates-revisited/

I recommend printing at half the speed of the dark blue line.

Note that you can print much faster at layer height of .1 than .2m It's about the volume of plastic - not the actual XY speed.

thanks alot i used the settings u used in the other thread and it worked really nicely! guess this thing needs some learning before u can effectively use it :)