UM1 Nozzle congested?

cips

Posted · UM1 Nozzle congested?

Hi experts.

I'm asking for an advice.

I just updated my UM1 firmware with the one coming from the last Cura version. I don't think this is related to the problem, but I tell you to give the complete picture.

Anyway, it looks like the nozzle is in some way clogged: I'm able to push the PLA filament freely through the bowden tube, until the nozzle. Here, no matter how much I push, it looks like it is completely clogged.

I tried to increase the temperature of the nozzle, but no luck; nothing is coming out from the other side.

Do you have any suggestion to troubleshoot this? I don't know what is happened at all.

Thanks,

Cips

OK, I was able to solve:

I tried to heat the nozzle at 230 degrees and then I left it for a while. Then I tried to push again the filament...a bit more and then.....SPLAT....a bunch of pla suddendly came out from the nozzle.

Ok, now it seems to be usable again. I don't know what caused this anyway.

One question for you: are the cleaning tool sold on ebay useful in these cases? I mean something like this:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/drilling-head-for-3d-printer-nozzle-cleaning-0-5mm-0-4mm-0-3mm-3-size-pack-.html

Thanks for your attention.

Some people find it useful for clearing out small bits of blackened (charred) debris.

You would do well to look for the 'nuclear' way of cleaning the nozzle - basically heating with filament, cooling and pulling the filament out to pull out all the stuff.

I always have a few spare nozzles around for the persistent clogs that need a syringe needle to clear them.

some filament is worse than others - but I put so many variants through the poor thing that I am always amased it works :)

The only other thing to do sometimes - once the filament hits the far end of the bowden it has to go into the melt end and sometimes it catches here - so I always clip my filament for loading with a 45 degree angle which seems to help it clear several of the bottlenecks.

James