Print Head pushing into material

rfw7759

Posted · Print Head pushing into material

Hey Guys I'm new to the Ultimaker forums and have a question! :)

First off love the printer, but as everybody already knows 3d printing takes patience.

I've recently had the issue with my printer where the hot end has been pushing into my model mostly at the final layers but can even end up shaking the model in some areas. also the hot end will push into the model causing melting on fine detail smudging them.

I've tried re calibrating multiple times getting the layer height perfect but still seems to pinch the nozzle head and print cause the bed to even jiggle slightly while printing.

I would love if anyone had any similar problems or solutions to this problem! thanks

Ron,

Hay Ron !!

welcome to ultimaker :-)

You could be simply printing a little to hot or slow... sometimes if the hotend is set to warm and slow... the build up of heat can cause the top layers of a model to be damaged... Can you show us what is happening in a photo.. that would be a big help to us to get you going ..

Ian :-)

Hey Thanks for getting back so soon Ian I uploaded a picture of the problem area youll get the idea pretty quick im sure.

Settings used

200C

60mm

standard white pla /RoHs

Ultimaker2

.06 line height

hope this helps!

Thanks again Ron

this picture I think better represents the issue, a simple test where it should be a sharp point at the top of the cone. However the top is melted and mushed in by the print head.

photo.JPG

Often it happens when printing single objects. The highest point of the material does not have sufficient time to cool down. The problem can be mitigated if you print several identical objects simultaneously. You could also create a hollow cylinder, and print with, this then forms on the build platform, the highest of all objects. This gives the main subject more time to cool down. Unfortunately, as always created some additional waste.

Markus

You can also test the expert setting Cool Head Lift sometimes it works very good (sometimes not).

I usually go for the method described by mnis, i have cylinder of 5mm wide and i scale it to be 1mm higher than the piece i want to print (remember to print all at once or it won't work)

Thanks a lot for the feed back fellas, I tried both methods and have gotten way better results ill most likely just stick with the cylinder method, just because It seems like every time I fiddle with my settings something else breaks :)

many thanks!

Ron

Hey Ron! Let's have a 3d printer party soon! :ugeek: