skip first print wizard Ultimaker 2

formtech-3d

Posted · skip first print wizard Ultimaker 2

hi all,

i am having a bit of an issue,

i reset my Ultimaker 2 settings to default on the printer, under maintenance,

now when i turn on the printer i am welcomed again by the first setup wizard for levelling and inserting material etc,

but i already have material loaded from before and my build plate levelled, how do i skip or get past this wizard?

it seems like you cant skip any of these steps and get back to the main menu?

any ideas or help would be much appreciated,

thanks

Andreas

no one had this issue yet?

or am i just the silly one who reset to default with filament already installed?

i dont want to run through the first run wizard and then when it gets to the filament loading i damage my feeder as there is already filament

If you're already leveled, you should be able to just click through everything except step 1 (or 4) of the leveling wizard (where you move the entire buildplate vertically). Just move the plate to the right height, don't touch any screws, and you should be set. You probably have to do this regardless since I assume that the Z-offset from your previous level would have been lost when you reset the printer anyways.

Not sure about the filament loading, but I'd think probably you can just cancel out of that step when you get there? If not it seems like anyone who happens to reset the printer settings with filament still loaded would be kind of screwed.

Though you could probably just click through the filament insertion too. The worst that should happen is that the extruder will either tick back a lot or grind the filament when it tries to forward material that's already been forwarded. I've had a similar thing happen a few times (as far as I can tell because there's some sort of firmware bug that triggers if you move/swap filament often without printing or restarting in between that causes the printer to start forwarding new filament too far when it loads; so now I always turn the printer off and on before I swap filament), and although the sounds the printer makes when it tries to forward material that's already at the printhead aren't pleasant it doesn't seem like any damage occurs. Or if damage does occur, it's to the filament rather than to the feeder.

@Aroth

thanks for your reply,

i did try that, just skipping through the steps, but then when i got the the filament loading step, i was worried i was going to damage something like you mentioned,

but i guess like you said if anything the filament will get damaged and not the feeder (hopefully)

at that step though, as far as i can see, there is no way to cancel or move past steps, it seems like you've just got to go through them,

i think just clicking through like you say as quickly as possible might be the best way through this,

anyway, going to give that a try now (fingers crossed)

will post back what happens,

seems to me like there should be a way around this though...?

will also keep an eye out for that firmware bug you mentioned,

Shouldn't be a huge problom to run it with material inserted. The motor power is lowered during the loading of the filament, so the motor will skip, but that's no problem.

Also, iirc the motor doesn't get power until the extruder finishes heating, so you can just wait for the head to heat up a bit, so the filament is melted at the hot end, and then just pull the filament out of the extruder.

Even with the reduced power, there's a fair chance that it will grind the filament during the fast forward part of the loading, if the spring tension isn't set just right.

thanks for the replies all!

much appreciated,

so i did what you all said, just ran through the wizard with filament already inserted,

as you predicted, there was some grinding on the fast forwarding but its seems to all be on the filament which is fine,

quite a fair amount of grinding in fact, it went through about 40% of the filament thickness,

just cut that bit of, removed and reinserted material and started printing again.

doesn't seem like anything to bad happened, it just seems like there could be a better route around this mistake right? or am i just being paranoid about damaging my machine..

thanks again