Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
danz409

about the hot ends?

so, i'm new to the 3d printing world and we are having this odd issue. iv noticed the "prime" at the start of each print is starting to curl in on itself and has came close to adhering to the nozzle in a big goopy mess. iv also been experiencing the print itself bunching up from time to time. (near the start usually)

could this be caused by a hot end going out? haven't even went though 1 spool of PLA yet, how long are hot ends suppose to last?

This sound more like a partial clog to me. Try the "atomic method". Undo the bowden tube on the head (hotend side), heat up to 180° and feed a bit of filament manually. Then let it cool down to 85°-90° and yank the filament out. If there is something stuck inside the nozzle, it might come out. If this doesn't help, heat up the nozzle up to max temp, and poke a fine needle or wire (hypotermic needles are great for that) through the nozzle. This might help dislodge anything stuck in the nozzle.

So far hot end lasts ....... ages :)

If I get prime moving like that I wipe the hot end (careful, it is hot!) with some tissue to clean off the gunk - that normally fixes it. Then rarely I do atomc, then even rarer I change out the nozzle for a clean (heat plus needle)!

So far hot end lasts ....... ages :)

If I get prime moving like that I wipe the hot end (careful, it is hot!) with some tissue to clean off the gunk - that normally fixes it. Then rarely I do atomc, then even rarer I change out the nozzle for a clean (heat plus needle)!

paper towls not too hard to come by. and found out that helps tremendously. however. going to the pharmacy asking for hypodermic needles without a prescription is almost always a no go and not such a fresh image on myself.

is there any other easy to get alternatives for if/when there is a major jam.