UM2 - Can I print directly from Cura??

jangermann

Posted · UM2 - Can I print directly from Cura??

Hi.

I'm all new to Ultimaker2, but have been using Cura a couple of month on my Velleman K8200.

Now I am the happy owner of the UM2, and it's really great.

My problem is that I can't print directly from Cura (is it even possible with the UM2, can't find ANY information about it??)

I can firmware update the UM2 - Yes no problem (so the communication must be ok).

I can copy code to the SD card an print from SD

But how....please tell me how do I print directly from Cura?? I load a model and expect that I would see the print button, but its not there???

What are I doing wrong?

You can but it's not recommended and not officially supported. The USB has an extremely high error rate (go ahead and look in the log file - typically thousands of checksum errors and retransmits). Don't know why as USB is a pretty mature technology but not so great with arduinos I guess.

You will likely have to disable ultigcode and use normal gcode mode. Another choice is to use repetier host (it's free) to print you gcode file through USB. Or octoprint or doodle 3d:

http://www.doodle3d.com/product/doodle3d-wifi-box/

Be warned you might have to go through a few usb cables and/or computers and/or USB buffer boxes to get a print to run for more than 10 minutes without halting due to errors.

Ok, Thanks gr5. I think I will use the SD card in the future, or at least until Ultimaker comes with another solution.

I have tried the Doodle3D, but I don't want to disable ultigcode, print quality is my priority.

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm wondering  can I save my gcode from laptop to SD-card when my SD-card is in UM2+

card place ??

or do I have to remove SD-card from UM2+ and but it to my laptop SD-place and  

save my gcode and then place it back to UM2+ ?

please advice me !

I'm happy if I get answer to my email: arto.hautala@luksia.fi

or email me if you friendly answer me in this forum ...

I think it's very cumbersome to place SD-card back and forth...

all the best and happy days

-arto hautala-

>I think it's very cumbersome to place SD-card back and forth...

Yes. You have to go back and forth.

it's not so bad. Putting on a jacket every time I go outside in the winter is also cumbersome but I'm used to it.