Ultimaker original seems dead only extruder is heating - SOLVED

herman-wouters

Posted · Ultimaker original seems dead only extruder is heating - SOLVED

After installing cura 14.9 and downloading the new fermware, it was impossible to connect my ultimaker Original to cura. Also the earlier versions of Cura did not work any more.

After i asked for a Ticket with Ultimaker, I got some suggestions.

first I had to disconnect the arduino and try to download the firmware again. this worked. Than they suggested that the motherboard was defect. I ordered a new motherboard and in the mean time I installed the controler unit from UM.

ThanI installed cura 14.9 and the firmware again.

Now I The printer could be connected to Cura.

Than I started the printing but, now only the extruder is heating. Not my heated bed and even not the steppen motors are moving.

It seams that everything els is dead.

I tried the an old version of cura (12.8, which I sometimes still used when newer versions of cura made problems) This version connected but I could not give a print order.

Normaly when I connected to that version. I heard a click in the printer and got a lot of information on the screen. Now there is no click and instead of readable information ther is a lot of "chinees" on the screen.

So I decided to try to print with the control unit.

The same result: Only the extruder is heating. The controllerschreen gives the, in cura determined temperature but the heating do not start. I also cannot move the z ax nor the other axis. The rest of the printer seemes also dead.

I am desperate now because I cannot rech a dadline for making prototype.

Please help

Did you install the Ultimaker Original PLUS firmware by any chance? As that won't work (and the next Cura version will protect you from doing this)

I have the Prusa heated bed

with

100k thermistor

4.7k metal film resistor

18v Relay and

a 12v PSU 15amp

The heated bed worked always well.

Is it possible that not only the motherboard was defect but also the andruino ?

I am able to download the firmware and my computer recognises the Arduino and says that it is working well.

You do need to install your own custom firmware then, not something from Cura, else you will have problems.

Dear Daid, how can I install my own firmware. I do not have that

The easiest way to get your customized version of Marlin is certainly this http://marlinbuilder.robotfuzz.com/.

OK I will try this

I build the firmware, but if I download the hex file, I only get it in tekst. When I want to download via cura

it is asking for a hex file.

How can I download the hexfile as a real .hex file ?

I have the Prusa heated bed

Oh - then you need to build your own like stated above.

I build the firmware, but if I download the hex file,

?

Try again - use marlinBuilder again. Click the very large button. Right click the "hex" file and choose "save file as...". If you open it in a text editor it should something like this:

:100000000C94040A0C94B00C0C94E10C0C94120D9A

:100010000C94430D0C94740D0C94A50D0C94D60DFA

:100020000C94070E0C94250A0C94250A0C94250AAE

:

If you are on a PC you might have to rename the file to extension ".hex" before using Cura to send the file to the printer.

To post a picture click "Gallery" on the top left of this page. Then click big blue "upload" button. After uploading create a ne post and click on "my media" next to smile icon and choose "gallery images".

Hereby the picture of my electronics

foto electronica Ultimaker original

tn_gallery_37511_1452_47528.jpg

Oh! Did you remember to add a 4.7K resistor to the new board? In the same place you had it in the old board? I bet that's it.

ultimaker%20bed%20connections.png

Almost everything in your photo shows heating related circuitry (power supply, relay, wiring) but your problem isn't with the heat circuitry but the *measurement* circuitry.

Thanks for your reply.

I did not change the resistor from the old onto the new bed. So Im am trying to do that immidiately

This was it, everything works perfect again.

Thank you very much