OctoPrint settings?

korneel

Posted · OctoPrint settings?

Hi;

has anyone here configured an OctoPrint with their UM2?

I have configured it, it responds, but I seem to be missing some tips and tricks.. found the forumpost on this forum, but it doesn't tell me anything about settings I need to change and even better, how toa ctually print with the octoprint and a UM2..

any tips, tutorials?

thanks!

yes, but what i am missing is the settings piece, for instance the printer paramenters and how to correctly start and stop prints.. the silly thing just starts printing without warming up for instance.

Probably Marlin/sprinter

ok, got this working now :)

happy times..

but...

because Octoprint heats up both the bed and the extruder at the same time, my extruder will be hot for a minute or so before the bed is hot enough and printing starts.

even if i correct this manually, i am still faced with the following;

once i start printing, probably because of the hot end heating up before anything else, there is an empty space before any filament reaches the hot end. the default ultimaker 2 program solves this by extruding quite a bit of filament in a corner before printing. how can i make octoprint do the same thing?

Do this in your slicer, by adding the corresponding "end Gcode". Octoprint can only help in let you manually control the HE and HB temperatures (preheating, if you wanna say so).

Hi all,

This evening I connected the UM2 to Octoprint running on Raspberry Pi.

Beforehand I tried to find information on how to translate the 'Machine Settings' in Cura to Octoprint, because I figured that Octoprint had to 'know' specific Ultimaker 2 dimensions in order to work properly.

I did find the settings for the bed size (X and Y), but could not find a way to tell Octoprint what the (maximum) height of the printer bed is.

And sure enough, when I pressed the down-button (arrow down) in the control panel of Octoprint, the printer bed tried to go -through- the bottom plate of the printer, I mean: it thought it could go there and produced a terrible sound.

Am I missing something here?

How can I tell / should I tell Octoprint what 3D-printer is connected other then the X and Y dimension of the printer bed?

I used '2014-09-09-wheezy-octopi-0.10.0.img' on RP model B and UM2 is running firmware version 14.09.

Help/advice is much appreciated.

You can see this in Cura in Machine Settings: Maximum height: 205mm

Hi Didier,

I saw that, but can't find the equivalent setting in Octoprint..

Ok understood :)

What happened to you i think if i understand well is that you asked the bed to go down a certain value and that this travel was exceeding the actual maximum height, so it hit the endstop but still tried to continue.

Not an expert of octoprint and that particular window but i guess it can also happen with the other movements? Or are they limited by the x and y values of the bed?

Hi Didier,

Thanks for your reply; I have to do some more research.

I think all 3 axes have a switch that tells the robot the maximum has been reached, still the sound that came from the room the printer is in wasn't very nice and I hope it still works as before.

For now I don't dare to use Octoprint untill I know more about it's settings.

Rusc.

Octoprint has no reason to know the height of the building volume. X and Y dimensions are eventually used for display purposes. The maximum travel on the axes should be normally solved by the machine itself, "hardware" (minim and/or maxim endstops) and/or software (firmware parameters).

It is somehow dangerous and anyway confusing have the height configuration in the host software.The place for it is in the firmware, if not fully hardware implemented (with 2 endstops, one at each end of the axis).

so i've been running octoprint for a long while now and i'm not recognizing your issue..

should not be a problem, the values you display are not used to measure the actual distance traveled. it should hit the end stop and sense that the end has been reached..

Hello Korneel,

When you say 'end stop', do you mean a switch that when pushed tells the printer the end has been reached?

When I pushed the 'down arrow' in the Octoprint interface the printer bed was already at it's lowest position.

The sound I heard was a heavy vibrating sound that lasted for a couple a seconds, in a split second I pushed the 'up arrow' in Octoprint interface and then it stopped.

If the UM2 has an end stop at the lowest point of the Z-axis I wouldn't have suspected this behaviour/sound.

Anyway, I'm going to be very carefull experimenting with Octoprint.

Everyone here many thanks for your analysis and advice!

ooooohhh..

yes well by pressing the down arrow you are instructing the bed to go down. it will ignore the end stop since you are essentially overriding it.

i think you are looking for the home button, that should level it, or put a line in your gcode..