Ultimaker 2 Questions/Concerns

eric-lester

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Questions/Concerns

So, I'm about to order an Ultimaker 2! The reviews of the product seem amazing, but I was a bit curious as most useful information came from early 2014. Given that 2015 is just around the corner--and knowing how responsive the Ultimaker company and community is--I was wondering

• Are there any major packaging issues still present? (I'd heard of some of these early in 2014, but it seemed as though the packing method has changed since.)
  • Has the US support (for parts especially) improved? (I know that there now is US support--I'm looking at getting mine from imakr.us anyway. This could be more a where-you-bought-it issue, but it was kind of unclear if they actually had the parts. If they don't, who aside from Ultimaker does?)
  • Dual nozzles? (I've seen tons of sources dating back to 2013 saying that the Ultimaker 2 is on the cusp of dual nozzle extrusion, but alas nothing seems to have come from these plans. Am I missing something?)
  • Anything else I should know?

I have built a 3D printer with my bare hands. I know how they work, and I'm confident that--if the device lives up to its specs--the Ultimaker 2 is my next step forward.

Disclaimer: I'm obviously new here, and I will admit that I haven't looked over the forums as well as I probably should have, but I was tired of just finding threads on concerns about the Ultimaker 2 near its release. I know that changes have occurred, so if anyone with recent experience or advice cares to chime in I would be most appreciative!

Hi,

I don't know about support in America but I had one shipped to New Zealand a few months back and it was packed well and arrived with no issues.

Dual Extrusion is commented at the end of this article: https://www.ultimaker.com/blogs/news/2014/09/20/introducing-ultimaker-original-and-a-heated-bed-upgrade-kit

More info: http://cdn.makezine.com/make/magazine/V42-preview.pdf

It's a awesome printer and although some people experience slow responses from support sometimes. The community on this forum makes up for it with a lot of experienced users providing an extensive amount of information and help where needed.

most problems can be resolved here without the need to contact support and there are a few people from Ultimaker reading posts on the forum that provide help also.

I'm not aware of any packaging problems these days. We have improved it significantly, but I don't know the exact state / quality of it at this moment.

We have a reseller (and production site) in america these days. This should improve the support time / shipping time / cost.

There is no official upgrade to get dual extrusion working.

On the final part; If you have a lot of experience with building printers yourself, you might be better served with an UMO+. They tend to need more tweaking but my personal experience is that it's easier to tweak the UMO+ compared to the UM2 (although some people swear by the UM2, so it could also be a personal preference thing)

I'm in the UK, so can't comment about US points.

I've had my UM2 for a few weeks now, my first go at 3D printing,although I've had some experience of CNC.

I found the UM2 well packed, no problems at all. The only problem I've had with the machine is with a number of the pulleys coming loose, just needs a quick tighten of the grub screws.

The only slightly negative comment I have about the machine is that the bed is rather flimsy which allows it to judder while printing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advice and the information on dual extrusion! As for the UMO+, I really did consider it, but I don't see the ease of making tweaks as the issue--the issue is the need to make tweaks. I have no problem spending hours to get the thing dialed in just right, but I just want it to stay that way. I know that the UMO+ doesn't really need that many tweaks too to be honest, but I just preferred some of the specs (and, yes, looks) on the UM2, and both were in my price range.

The packaging has improved indeed, and will be improved even more in the (near) future.