Override infill % at Z

veedee

Posted · Override infill % at Z

Hey Guys,

Is there anyone who knows if there is a cura plugin that overrides the infill percentage at/between a selected Z height? Because I couldn't find it.

I'm working on a project where some layers of some parts have to be at high infill percentages, but when I set the infill at the desired percentage, the material wasting will be enormous so this is not an option.

Sven

Posted · Override infill % at Z

No plugin. The plugins are simple code that do simple changes. Increasing infill means adding more movements in a complicated pattern and a simple plugin can't do that.

You could slice the part both ways and try to splice the two gcode files together.

You could use other slicers. For this feature I recommend:

http://www.simplify3d.com/

It's not free but it's not expensive either. It's new and has a great gui and allows you to do what you ask. That's it's main feature that they brag about in fact. Several people on this forum have bought it and say it works great. They often abbreviate to something like S3D so you might need to use google search to find the posts.

Another choice is to add very tiny cylindrical holes through (or anywhere in) your cad model. Cura gets confused and does "shell" around these cylinders even though they are too tiny to see or print. This works quite well and you can really mess around with fancy internal support. But it's quite a bit of work if you aren't an expert in your cad software and know at least 50 keyboard shortcuts and can model a chair in 2 minutes flat. But if you are one-with-cad and use it 8 hours per day and are an expert then this is probably your best choice.

Make sure "fix horrible A" and all the other "fix horrible" checkboxes are not checked if you go for this "holes through model" method.