Dual extrusion fans and shrouds

Posted · Dual extrusion fans and shrouds

There are a few designs on youmagine and thingiverse.

I also built one myself out of a sheet of 0.5mm alu. But I modified the nozzle location of the second nozzle :-)

I'm sure, you will find a suitable one but pls be aware that the printed ones get deformed over the time because of the heat - so print it in ABS or XT...

I've seen the designs on youmagine and thingiverse, but I'm not sure which one is considered a good design.

Any features I should look for to pick a "good" shroud?

My goal is to have the best print quality possible, I do not care about print speed.

The ideal design shall bring enough cooling to every side of the nozzle/print.

I tried different ones when had only one nozzle, but with two nozzles you always have the issue that one side of the print is more away from the air flow than the other.

I found no perfect design up to now, even not my own alu design as it has the same issues when used only with one nozzle...

There is one design Iwould try if my head would be assambled like your: just search thingiverse for "Dual Head Annular Fan Duct for Ultimaker"...

Ok I will try that shroud, can I print it in PLA?

I still don't have a fan, I bought my ultimaker used and the previous owner removed the fan, what fan should I buy?

On the short run PLA is ok, but it will warp so I would recommend it in ABS or XT...

Regarding fan select a 50x50mm, 12v one or order the fan package UM offers.

Keep us informed how it works :-)

Could I get a 12v fan with 50 mm sides and 10mm depth?

I printed this one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:175621

The prints with it on we're coming out great. However I printed it in pla and it warped pretty much straight away. My heated bed it broken at the moment, but I've been told by UM that it will heat to 110 degrees and stop, which happens to be the perfect temp for abs! So I'm going to try printing an abs one on Tuesday while I'm waiting for new heated bed controller to turn up. I'll report back on results.

so...a bigger and smaller ultimaker..thats great..but when does the dual extrusion for the um2 become,s available ?

Macua85

I printed the same fan shroud in PLA that you printed. Same issues that you experienced, the shroud warped. I am going to try to print it in ABS next.

As for the heated bed, I've also experienced similar issues in that regard. It seems approximately 110C is the max bed temp for the UMO. In fact, mine typically stalls at about 107-109C. I've had it set to 110C but waited 30 minutes and it still could not reach 110C.

I will also post my results with the fan shroud when I get it printed in ABS.

Now printed in ABS.Its not wraping printing pla with no heated bed, but I suspect the warping occurs when the heated bed is on, and printing the first layer on large objects when no fan on. I could try and print some ABS...the bed reached 112-113 steady. I think that would bugger the shroud though. But I guess we need to see what it can handle. If it does fail, think aluminium variant would be the best bet a la um2.

So Having had his on for a few days, I've decided I don't like it. Its great at what its supposed to do....but its a pain for every day maintenance and activates. I like to be able to see the print as its printing incase of any problems, certainly at the beginning. This shroud covers the nozzle area so can't see whats going on. Secondly, levelling the bed is tricky as again, can't see the nozzles properly. I'm giving this one a go instead:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/40mm-fanducts-for-dual-extruder#!comments

With this so I can use OE fan:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47146

Just trying the left duct out to start off as I don't have another UMO fan. Does anyone know the specs so that I can order another once? Is is 19v? Can I just wire in parallel?

Thanks,

A

Okay, so I got my fan installed and printed the dual head shroud in ABS and got a really good print from it. Unfortunately, the nozzle and/or Peek Insulator clogged again, but I am too busy with school to mess with it for the next 2 weeks. I am considering installing a second fan onto the ultimaker, but am unsure how. I thought someone posted a link in another thread showing how, but I cant remember or find it when I searched.

How are others installing two fans onto the Ultimaker if there is only one 2 pin fan slot?

there is only one very simple way...

cut the cable, solder both fans onto it - don´t forget shrink tube :-)

Im looking to do this too...will have to buy another fan from ultimata, can't find 19v fans anywhere

I've been using the Dual Annular Head shroud (ABS) for printing PLA. I have found that it still has a tendency even when printed in ABS to slightly warp and make contact with the print. I'm going to have to try to find a way to keep the shroud elevated on the non-attached side or print a different shroud.

It dont has to be a 19v fan. It depends on solder it in parallel or series so you can use 12v fans too...