Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jweaver

Resdesign a model, or scale in CURA?

I have a very quick question which has always intrigued me..

Say you have a symmetrical model.. Which you want to make thicker/wider/longer.. Is there any reason why you shouldn't use "scale"?

For example, this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:552280

Say I wanted to make it thicker? Or wanted to make the openings longer? THere is obviously an option to re-draw the model.. But does using 'scale' in CURA achieve the same thing?

Is there any reason not to use Scale for cases like this?

Jon

This thing is not yet public

(It's the message i get from thingiverse).

Scaling in Cura will change the dimensions of the STL, it's usefull in many cases but it will affect the whole object so if you have hole (for screws for example) they will change too so it really depends on the model and what you want to change

This thing is not yet public

(It's the message i get from thingiverse).

Scaling in Cura will change the dimensions of the STL, it's usefull in many cases but it will affect the whole object so if you have hole (for screws for example) they will change too so it really depends on the model and what you want to change

Sorry.. I liked my "customized" version.. Its this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:44017

Ok :) for this particular part i guess it's better to use the customiser, or as i said if you want the openings longer in Cura you scale the x at 1.5 for example it will also increase the width of the borders of the object

Obviously yes it will scale everything.. But if that didn't matter, I guess I am right in thinking that it doens't matter.

In a real world case, I made a customized version of this, and it was too thick. (4mm). So I just scaled it down on the Z axis to make it thinner (3mm). And I just wondered whether the output is the same whether I used the customizer or the scaling feature of CURA to achieve this.

Jon

And I just wondered whether the output is the same whether I used the customizer or the scaling feature of CURA to achieve this

Scale works just fine for something this simple. Unfortunately most models are more complicated.

For example I have one model of a cube and I'm always scaling it to different shapes. e.g. 10x10x10 or 5x5x5 or 5x5x50 and so on. Scale works just fine.

The biggest downside is I don't think the scale values are stored anywhere so unless you keep good notes then a year from now you might be confused how to print a new buckle. This is a pretty minor downside. You can just write a note to yourself or even put it in the filename e.g. "buckle scaled X1 Y1 Z.75.gcode".

THanks for the replies.. I guess the question is..

Say I drew a cube that was 10x10x10.. And then scaled it x2.. so it printed 20x20x20..

And then drew a cube which was 20x20x2x0 and printed that at 1x.. Both would be 20x20x20, but would the be exactly the same? My guess is yes, but I just wanted to check whether 'scale' does anything internally.