Wishlist/ Outlandish ideas

scooby

Posted · Wishlist/ Outlandish ideas

Hi guys,

I was reading through some forums and found tons of different ones referencing upgrades and things they would like to see in the future from Ultimaker or 3D printing in general, but none that were discussing a few ideas I had. I wanted to know what people would think of the ability to print while on the go? I keep my Ultimaker 2 at home but there are times that I wish I had it at work to print out some designs that are work relevant. Or I might be traveling and design something that I would love to print but can't start the print until I get home. I was wondering what It would take to be able to send prints to your printer from anywhere? and I don't mean anywhere in the house, I mean be able to send a file for my printer to start printing from anywhere. So the print is already several hours into the print by the time I'm home. I thought that would be absolutely awesome! I am a mechanical engineer so my understanding of programming is not sufficient enough to completely understand what it would take. My thoughts are along the lines of re-purposing the set up that current paper printers use to print from anywhere without being in room. From what I've read it sounds like the UM2's built in hardware is not set up for wifi upgrade just yet so I imagine that is another obstacle to overcome.

Let me know your thoughts! and if you have any ideas of your own for outlandish upgrades feel free to post them!

Thanks!

Posted · Wishlist/ Outlandish ideas

I connect remotely to my pc from my phone using TeamViewer (it's free). On my PC, the web cam is always active and pronterface is running. I use this to monitor and abort prints if needed but you could easily start one if you needed.