Unable to print anything/ under extruding

protoverse

Posted · Unable to print anything/ under extruding

Hey Guys,

I've an UM 2, roughly 3 months old. Today, suddenly I'm unable to print anything starting from a simple cube to a slightly complex hand bracelet.

The problem is that the initial layer that is being printed started off being thick, then thinner & finally under-extrudes as it prints towards the latter half of the build plate (towards the back of the UM 2).

Initially I thought it's a clogging or a build plate alignment problem, so for the former I did the 'atomic method' and for the later i repeatedly aligned the build plate. However, I'm absolutely unable to resume the quality of print that I was able to get y'day.

Could really use your help in this matter, thanking you all in advance!!

Sincerely,

AG

Had this problem too, but there are actually too many things that can go wrong, like too much frition in the bowden tube, the teflon coupler, partially clogged nozzle,...

You might have to try multiple things to find your specific problem, I had to print about 1 hour at 260°C at a low speed and then everything was ok again.

Indeed there are multiple causes, you'll have to look at the most likely causes and rule them out till you found your issue.

Have a look at the hot end part, if you remove the bowden on the printhead side, can you manually feed fillament with ease at normal temperatures ? in that case it's probably not the hot end causing it, do a few times "atomic" cleaning anyhow.

The other likely cause is the feeder, do you use the original manufacturer feeder ? this one can be dirty, filled with plastic particles, take it appart and clean it. Or better replace it by a improved printed feeder, most people use "roberts feeder" (I use my own derivative). These feeders are more "open" so you can easier clean them.

here's linkes to most of the info you need;

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7467-a-few-tips-for-getting-better-prints/?p=69853

If you need other info best do an andvanced google search, most things you need are answered before in this forum. ( search in http://umforum.ultimaker.com/ )

Hey Guys,

Thank you very much for your help.

But a funny thing is happening. When I gv a particular file (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:437382), the problem with the printer starts. But if I print any other file, then there is no problem!!

Has any 1 faced such a problem before? Could it be a problem with the stl/gcode file?

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

AG

Could be, depending on the printing settings you use in Cura. Or if you scaled the object?

I downloaded it, i can't really spot anything odd with the model (i tried with the V2 bracelet)... there are some thin walls that appear in the layer view tough so you might be right about the model

During the first three months I had my printer, I had this problem (underextrusion on different areas of the first layer) very often. I spent several hours leveling the bed, checking the Bowden tube position, cleaning the nozzle, changing filaments, temperatures, filament spoll in the floor, oil drops on the Bowden ,cura settings, etc, etc to finally figure out what was the cause. Try to disassemble the extruder motor and tighten the extruder gear (the one that makes the teethmarks on the filament). I don´t know why, but sometimes it gets slightly loose ( in spite of still be able to move the filament up and down). Sometimes, I could even see the gear going in and out on the axis of the feeder, as the nozzle/Bowden tube moves on the bed or filament retracts. After fixing it, all underextrusion or the first layer problem was gone.

Regards,

Mario

Hey..

Was finally able to print it, and it looks very good. Have no complains.

Thank you everyone who helped. Really appreciate it!

Sincerely,

AG