Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
angelo

14.12 on UM2. Possible bug: Extruder motor hickups during brim/raft print.

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I am a newcommer here, I just bought an Ultimaker 2. Pre-installed version was 14.09. I then updated to the recent 14.12, not 14.12.1.

I noticed some hickups of motor extruder during brim and raft printing. Filament stops for several cm of path. These hickups were not present in 14.09.

By sensing the filament at the extruder input with my fingers, the motor clearly goes back few mm, very fast, but doesn't resume position. That's why several cm of filament are missing on the brim/raft.

I started several times the same print file, always with the same hickups.

These hickups were not present two days ago, when I printed from the same file, still with 14.12 firmware.

If I play with speed during print, reducing it to 85%, hickups disapears.

There is not problems durint print of the part itself, which is done at a different speed.

This remember me when I design real time systems, with dual acces to variables, either from processes or from interrupts, this without protection scheme :mrgreen:

Angelo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would check your bed levelling to make sure it's proper. If the bed is too close to the nozzle the pressure will be higher which can cause the motor to skip back.

The skip back is mechanical, it's not controlled by the electronics (more so than controlling the amount of current the motor receives), that's why you're not seeing the printer compensate for it after it happens.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried with another part, which is smaller.

Still same behaviour of the motor. Now, it does it even during print of the part body.

I tried to keep pushing by hand the filament. It is clearly pulled back by the motor.

I also sensed the axle protruding from the extruder. If it is the motor axle, it is also going back.

And again, lowering the speed from 80mm/s to 65% (about 50mm/s) solved the problem.

I will do more tests.

Angelo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Our picks

    • Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.6 | Beta
      Ultimaker Cura 3.6 | Beta is available. It comes with new features, bug fixes, and UX improvements. We would really like to have your feedback on it to make our stable release as good as it can be. As always, you can download the beta for free from our website, for Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
        • Like
      • 95 replies
    • Print Core CC | Red for Ruby
      Q: For some users, abrasive materials may be a new subject matter. Can you explain what it is that makes a material abrasive when you are not sure which print core to use?
      A: Materials which are hard in a solid piece (like metals, ceramics and carbon fibers) will generally also wear down the nozzle. In general one should assume...
        • Like
      • 30 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!