new flexible nylon from taulman

lance-greene

Posted · new flexible nylon from taulman

Well at 10kpsi it's less flexible than ninjaflex and more flexible than the other taulman products. The "young's modulus" is the standard measure of flexibility. I posted the flexibility of several filaments here (post #22):

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7710-print-more-than-260%C2%BAc-with-a-um2/page-2&do=findComment&comment=72654

The more flexible the filament is, the harder it is to push it through the bowden. I've printed ninjaflex and you have to oil it every meter or so to get it to go through the bowden and I've had to print it at 240C (hotter than normally recommended for ninjaflex) and very slow (10mm/sec) to get no underextrusion. Retraction doesn't work so good either.

This filament from Taulman might be easier to print.

I have found that all the Taulman products are somewhat too flexible for my needs and also are difficult to print for various reasons - mostly because nylon takes up a lot of water content which then boils when printing but other issues also.

Taulman Bridge is probably the easiest to print and it is much more flexible than PLA or ABS.

I played with a reel of this over the christmas break and love it as a material.

In a UMO prints really easily on a cold glass bed with PVA.

It does absorb water like all nylons so sometimes the 'steam' on the first layer dampens the PVA so I moved the models round the bed to fresh PVA each time and that improved the warp issue.

Needed to print it hot at 235 minimum and it seemed happy at about 35-40 mm/sec. higher than that and I got some layer delamination.

So I played with tie die - see richrap nylon dying! - I dyed filament and I dyed the finished printed object and they both worked well - slightly better to dye the filament as the dyed object became a bit stiffer.

Yes it is flexible - bendable - and bends back to the original shape. not as flexible as Ninjaflex but incredibly strong and precise. (I have printed ninjaflex with the UMO and have to use a .65 nozzle with a small change to the extruder.) whereas the nylon felt really simple in comparison and happily went through a few 4 hour prints.

So far really like it!

James

Here are a couple of images;

2015 01 01 10.38.36

this one is a clip for my rowing boat which carries a spirit level - this was printed and then dyed in purple

and the one below is a vase where I dyed the filament, then dried it out, then printed 2 wall thicknesses - nearly watertight :)

2015 01 06 07.42.40

James