Ultimaker 2 build - Electronics

Posted · Ultimaker 2 build - Electronics

Im just about to have a go at building the UM2 from scratch but didnt realise how difficult it would be to source parts!

I can find alternatives for the main board, however I would really like to use to same motors as UM2.

Ive seen similar but the size I cant find is 42mm wide by 38mm deep!

Does anyone know where I can get the stepper motors and also the z axis stepper with built in lead screw? (im in the UK)

Thanks

You can find all the parts here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2

if you look for stepper motor you can find this:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

which lead to some NEMA stepper motor and the one closer to the dimensions of the UM2 seems to be the NEMA 17

http://reprap.org/wiki/NEMA_17_Stepper_motor

Thanks for linking me to the information.

I have been using the UM2 sourcefiles on github but I suppose it doesnt matter if I use the exact same dimensions of stepper motor.

I found what I was looking for; http://www.3dp2go.com/threaded-shaft-nema17-stepper-motor-with-tr88-leadscrew-p-185.html?zenid=rtajoq73ru6s42ot34l7ceokt5

Has anyone ordered from this website before?

When you say you found an alternative for the mainboard. Do you mean an um original board? Im no expert on the umo but i think it homes differently than the um2 so you may need to place endswitches differently than in the um2...

maybe someone who knows more about the electronics diffeence of um2 / umo can say a bit more on this...

If I'm correct the UMO has a Arduino Mega + 1.5.7. UMboard + stepper drivers, I wonder if the UM2 board is just this combined on a more compact board or if there are other differences.

Could you run a UM2 setup (same homing behaviour etc) on a 1.5.7. board ? or would you need to change hardware to match UMO (end switch positions)

Arjan,

There are some differences, but at the end, it is the same AVR (2560) and they are addressing the same 'external' hardware (Motors, sensors, ...).

Looking from another angle: an UMO with HBK and and UMO+ share the exact same 'external' components, the first one with 1.5.X board and the later UM2 board. Firmware source is the same (with obviously the right board selection in Marlin.)

So I don't see why you could not 'retrofit' the UM2 firmware to have it running on an 1.5 board. (but I don't see either why you would want to do that...)

-- My knowledge on firmware and UMO is very limited --

I should probably dive into the UMO before asking stuff.. but anyhow...

If I would want to build a UM clone, and I like the behaviour of the UM2 (I'm used to it..). and I go for ebay clone electronics would it be easier to take the UMO hardware setup (location of endswitch) and just adjust behaviour (if not already in) by start/end gcode. Or would it be just as easy to copy the hardware setup of the UM2 ?

Any other advice of the easiest "clone electronics"? in terms of easiest to update with latest firmware ?

Thanks

The suggestions from everyone are very useful! I was thinking arduino but the more I look into it, the easier it may be to find an ebay clone but they would probably be a lot more expensive.