Filament can't push through the feeder

xenon

Posted · Filament can't push through the feeder

Hi everybody, i have a strange problem:

this morning i was switching from a PLA to a ABS filament.

everything went fine till i removed the old filament and inserted the new one...

i pushed the filament a bit so the feeder could grab it and the feeder started pulling up the matirial...only to stop a few millimiters later

after trying several time, i noticed that after the filament is grabbed by the motor wheel it make a little turn and it miss the hole that lead to the bowden tube

the filament is straight and i tried with other filament but the problem remain

what could cause the filament to "turn" and how could i fix it?

Thanks in advance. :)

Posted · Filament can't push through the feeder

If the filament is oversize then it may have trouble getting through the gap between the drive cog and the idler wheel (bearing). You would have to back off tension. If the filament has a tight curl then it's possibly just getting hung up somewhere.

I would recommend a switch to Robert's feeder.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-um2-feeder-version-two

...or the variation on it which I actually use.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/yet-another-ultimaker-2-feeder

Not only is it easier to tweak the tension on this feeder, it's also great for quick filament changes: you can manually poke the new filament into the bowden tube before closing the tension arm, so the problem you describe simply couldn't occur.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies