Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
parabolic

What the F...9000???

sorry for the play on words.

Im working on a new printer and am testing the X & Y carriages now.

Ive been through new stronger steppers and "purple" driver bards and tweaked the voltages.

When running a test "print" I can hear the motors grinding internally - magnetically decoupling. belts are good as well as pulleys.

This seems to happen on fast non print movements. Ive tracked it down to the F9000 speed.

Is there ANY WAY to adjust this? Why would CURA generate that fast of a movement? Id like to slow it down to 5000 or so - this way I can speed up my print movements without fear of it skipping steps.

If not is there a firmware override for RAMPS?

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Check the travel speed in the advanced tab. I thing the default is 150mm/s which is not that fast. I usually set it to 200mm/s but reduce acceleration on the x/y motors on my UM2.

The UM2 can go up to 300mm/s so that's why its that high.

"Travel speed" is the setting you are looking for.

(From his avartar I assume he has an Prusa I3)

Daid,

My avatar is a I3 derivative, but NOT an I3. As far as my new printer goes, its kinda like a ultimaker - with the X&Y on the same AXIS, however im using linear rail and rollers so I wanted to use 2 motors to drive it. Im having the skipping issue on fast movements and was hoping I could get that F9000 to change to F5000 somehow.

Probably a weight issue im trying to rectify with hardware.

Jeff

Daid,

My avatar is a I3 derivative, but NOT an I3. As far as my new printer goes, its kinda like a ultimaker - with the X&Y on the same AXIS, however im using linear rail and rollers so I wanted to use 2 motors to drive it. Im having the skipping issue on fast movements and was hoping I could get that F9000 to change to F5000 somehow.

Probably a weight issue im trying to rectify with hardware.

Jeff

Well, mostly what we care about Ultimaker or not, so we can adjust our answers on standard Ultimaker problems or not.

Two motors on one axis, that's interesting, how large is this printer that you are working on? As that sounds like something you would do on something really big.

The fact that you are talking about F9000 and F5000 means you're already talking at a whole different level then most people here. And these are feedrates you are talking about, called speed in the GUI. And feedrates are in mm/min while speeds are in mm/sec in the GUI.

Also, you might want to limit you max-feedrate in your firmware then, as it's usually best to have the firmware limits on what you hardware can handle.