Save to SD card in Cura 14.12.1

superace

Posted · Save to SD card in Cura 14.12.1

Hi,

Is this a feature or a "feature aka bug" or am I just plain dumb?

1: I load "Test.stl" to Cura

2: Edit the settings so I get it sliced as I like it.

3: Press the "Save Toolpath" Icon in the window:

Now I can name the file "NN.gcode", so far so good.

4: I plug in an USB card reader to my pc, the "Save toolpath" icon changes to SD Card. This is also good.

AND here comes the problem:

When I press "Save Toolpath to SD card" the file is saved to my SD card. With the original "Test.stl" name and without any way for me to change name or path.

I would have thought the filename should have been the "NN.gcode" name that I choose to save it to my HDD

So is there a way to assign name when saving to SD card? In that case How and Where????

Thanks!!

Hopfully this will not officially declare me dumb :)

You're not dumb, the workflow is different than you expect. You don't need the first step where you save the .gcode file. You either plug in the sdcard and press the sdcard icon in Cura (which saves the .gcode file automatically to the sdcard using the .stl file name) - or you save the .gcode file somewhere else while giving it a name and then manually move the .gcode file to the sdcard.

Or you use the first approach and then rename the .gcode file on the sdcard - that's what I am doing.

You can right click on the save icon and choose save if you dont want the default sd card behavior.

Starting next release (15.01) a new folder replication feature has been added to allow you to configure and automatically replicate your local folder structure (where your stl file is located). The file name will still be based on the first item name loaded in Cura.

Thanks!!

Hopfully this will not officially declare me dumb :)

Never :-) (unless you join the "manual slice button" crowd :p )

The idea behind the "Save to SD" is that it replicates the STL file name because generally people name their STL files something sensible, and it makes sense to have that name on the gcode as well.

The general workflow I have in mind for people using Cura is "load SDL, insert SD, save GCode to SD". The workflow you are doing right now is simply something I didn't account for. Which explains your confusion.

I also have the opinion that GCode files are disposable temp files. I know not everyone agrees with me here, but I don't think GCode files will survive as something that the user interacts with in the long run. (Just like nobody really interacts with postscript files for 2D printing anymore) Which is why Cura also overwrites GCode files on the SD card without asking.

Hi,

Thank you all for the answers. Almost all the printing I do is for functional parts using ABS. So normally I slice things in Cura in 5 different ways. Different infill %, shell thickness and so on. Load all variants to a SD card and hands it away. Then someone prints out the models and test how strong they are, good looking and so on.....

After the test they tell me wich one they like and I can copy the g-code file used for the most successful print from my hdd to a public area where it is stored and can be used later when it is time to print more of this part. The not successful variants are deleted. Of course I could copy from the SD card, but then I have to locate it again. SD cards get feets, my Hdd does not :)

Now when I understand how Cura is working I can use 2 ways to do this. Excelent tip on "right click SD icon"! I really like the SD card Eject function.

/me

I am struggling to use an alternative SD card (i.e. one that was not supplied with the machine) and thus cannot print anything. The printer constantly shows 'no card' when going through the menu to select the GCODE and print??

It is a 2GB card but otherwise I am lost as to why I cant use this new SD card? All and any thoughts very VERY welcome

Cheers

Hi,

Can you add your printer info and location on your profile?

The UMO doesn't support high capacity cards but the UM2 does. You might want to try to format the card.

Hi pm_dude

Sorry yes that would be useful - it is an Ultimaker 1.

Our new card a 2GB card. What is the best card to source for an Ultimaker 1?

Thank Jimmy,

Is it an SDHC card? If so you may get issues with it.

Standard SD cards have a range from 8Mb to 2Gb but the High Capacity SD cards go from 2Gb to above (32Gb?).

If you have an HC (High capacity) or XC card there is no way around to getting it to work properly. Its just not supported by the UM1.

Here is some additional info on the topic:

http://www.howtogeek.com/189897/how-to-buy-an-sd-card-speed-classes-sizes-and-capacities-explained/

Good luck.

Thanks pm for the detail. Very much appreciated :grin: