Ultimaker 2 ruined my dinner

stefan-mueller

Posted · Ultimaker 2 ruined my dinner

After weeks of waiting, disapearing order infos, missing mails, fast and slow support, I finally received my UM2 today.

Not even bejond the leveling procedure, I find that an assembly error had caused one of the end-switch cables to short out. Two hours of searching, measuring, and soldering later, I was finally printing.

I like to think of myself as patient and tolerant, but what happend then is just too much.

I was expecting good prints from Ultimaker, but what I'm getting is just superb! It is my first 3D printer and my first hour of printing, and I just printed a tiny delecate part. The surface looks fabulous. I measure an accuracy of 0.05mm in X and Y. Heck, that's about as accurate as I can measure with my calipers.

So, I'm sitting big-eyed in front of my printer and watching the mesmerizing dance of the print-head when I smell something...

Ultimaker, you owe me two sausages. There ought to be a warning:

"Too freeking awesome. You might forget that you've left the stove on."

For all those still waiting for their printer: Its worth it.

Lets not forget that there are only two kinds of start-ups: Those where staff has plenty of time for customer relations and those that are overwelmed by the success of their products.

-Stefan

@Valcrow: Surely you've made that model just to tease me. Nobody would be so .... But no. The model is from 2013. Isn't amazing that the same type of brain that rocket-hovercraft-rope-winched on mars and discovered the rules of relativity also came up with a 3D printable plastic sausage?

@Xeno: This thread is useless even with pictures :)

I know you only care about a picture of the sausages. Unfourtunately I don't have one. But I can show you how a end-stop cable is not supposed to look like:

ruined endstop cable

Oh, and there's one of my first prints. I've put a ballpen beside it for scale. Its a 3.5mm jack plug to avoid dust entering my phone when I don't have earphones attached. This one isn't even the best-quality one I've printed yesterday.

3.5mm jack plug

I didn't make the sausage. :p I just linked it...

Ha! I see what you did there... linked sausage.