Gears end up too large.

rewolff

Posted · Gears end up too large.

I'm trying to make a few gears.

Now it's just testing, but the gears don't fit.

It seems as if my outer edges are always offset to the outside a bit. Any ideas as to why this would happen?

DSC_8172.JPG_small.jpg

(click for larger version)

Any ideas on how to improve this?

I'm printing with a single outer border, and 100% infill with PLA at 235 degrees.... (a bit high, but it works, I'm a bit hesitant to change that..).

[update]

Is the height correct? It looks like it's over extruding or the z is half what it should be.

What slicer are you using?

Have you had any other successful prints?

Chuck

In my experience, gears need about 0.2mm clearance compared to the model. But yours look a lot bigger then that. The single outer border works very good for gears, so that is good.

It's a bit hard to judge without your model and knowing which software you are using. Got some more info?

The software I'm using is "cura". (to complete the cycle ... :-) "I'm not sure if you're familiar with that. It's apparently not recommended by ultimaker support". :-) )

I'm using the gears from

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1339

. I don't think I can enter "clearance" there.

I have now managed to get one size larger to work. 250 pitch instead of the 200 I had originally. However I'm still interested in how to make them smaller. I've made a 3 times 3:1 reduction, for a 27x reduction. This is still too fast. Apparently I'd rather have say 6:1 reduction each step. That means the primary gear needs to be as small as possible for the secondary to stay "reasonable size".

The software I'm using is "cura". (to complete the cycle ... :-) "I'm not sure if you're familiar with that. It's apparently not recommended by ultimaker support". :-) )

Daid is not familiar with CURA, he dont like it at all :D :lol:

he made this great software !

I actually recommend this gear script:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3575

I used it for this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23589

I think the script I used generates better gears the the other script.

Ok. Downloaded. Will check it out tomorrow.

Currently printing an electronics box 10x11 cm, no manual intervention on the first layer. Let's hope it finishes by itself. :-)