Acetal Filament

solid-print-3d

Posted · Acetal Filament

Has anyone tried Acetal filament (mine was from Gizmodorks)

Acetal filaments  24807.1404759129.60.79

Can't seem to get it to print. Warps worse than any filament I've ever printed with. I''l try to call them tomorrow and ask, but I thought I'd ask you guys as well.

For those who don't know, Acetal is a very slippery filament, which makes for great gears. It's so slippery, that when I tried to use a scrap of it for the atomic cleaning method, I had to hold it with pliers because I couldn't push it through the hot end with my fingers.

It seems to print just fine, but multiple combinations of bed temp and nozzle temps yield the same result, the parts just warp like crazy in the first 2 or three layers, causing me to abort the print. So far I've just tried hairspray and blue tape (don't have Kapton on hand), with no luck. I've tried enclosed chamber and open.

I'll post some pictures If I try again, and post any results I have if I'm successful

Thanks

Posted · Acetal Filament

I have printed with it before (not Gizmodorks brand).

You need to print with very very low fan, and keep the walls on your part very thin. It holds heat/stays molten for quite a while, so thick walls warp and sag like crazy.

Likely a heated bed + heated chamber is needed for easy results. I printed a few things which were very functional, but the amount of effort needed puts it beyond my normal printing needs...