Atomic pull with Colorfabb XT

axsdenied

Posted · Atomic pull with Colorfabb XT

Does anyone have the right temperatures for doing atomic pull on Colorfabb's XT?

I have trying various temperatures (between 230-260 C when hot and between 90-130 C when cooled down) but I never get the "right shape" and there is always lots of filament left in the nozzle, like in the photo below.

atomic pull XT PLA

Red is two pulls with XT, then I used blue PLA and pushed out leftover XT from the nozzle and did another pull with it.

I've found it difficult to get the filament out, too. PET is much "stretchier" than PLA...

I do just the same thing - just insert the new filament and extrude manually until there is no more XT left in the nozzle.

Thanks. I tried the atomic pull with XT about 10-15 times without success :-)

The atomic pull of the blue filament, after pushing XT out, looked OK so it probably means that most of XT is out.

I usually only do the atomic when changing material type/color. when changing from XT to PLA I just extrude a small piece of PLA manually, probably around 230 degrees, then do one or more atomics with the PLA. the XT sticks fine to the PLA. if you use contrasting colors you'll see the pieces of XT you pull out.

I would add one point and I am not sure if this is right but if you do an atomic pull with PLA, after using XT, then I suspect you need to heat the extruder to the XT print temp., not the PLA print temp., before the pull. My thinking is that you need to be sure the XT is molten so it comes away from the nozzle wall and sticks to the PLA.

Yes. But dont overdo it. Think 230 is more than enough. You don't want to burn the pla.