UMO enclosure

oliver3d

Posted · UMO enclosure

Hello fellow printaholics!

Today i wanted to share with you my soundproofing enclosure that i made for my UMO. It's kind of a "poor mans edition", and not the prettiest, but it fulfills its purpose well! I made it with stuff I found in a scavenger hunt in our garage. The only thing i bought was the led lights and some more soundproofing material.

Frontview

I made this for three reasons;

1: I'm running the printer in my living room, and you can all guess what my girlfriend thinks about the noise it made. Of course I too found the noise a bit much at times.

2: To keep the temperature steady and prevent drafts.

3: To keep the fumes etc inside the box instead of my nose.

before

What is started with. An old top piece of a closet.

front panel corners

front panel cut

I cut a hole in the door for the plexi glass.

top cut

plywood top

The box wasn't high enough for the bowden tube, so I cut a hole in the top, and built a "box" out of plywood on the top to allow free movement of the bowden.

soundproofing top

silicone

from beneath

I then added some foam pieces for some DIY soundproofing. I also used silicone ti air tighten all the cracks.

painted

back

I at least tried to make it a bit less ugly by painting it.

back extruder

Cut a hole in the back to simply stick the extruder motor and feeder mechanism out through (this is something i'm coming up with a new solution to, as it is hard to change filament like this.).

soundproofing

Added the first pieces of various soundproofing material.

soundproofing material

Followed by more 2cm thick soundproofing, the kind which is use in boats and engines.

done

After I added some LEDs, I had an almost finished product!

I still intend to install a fan with an air filter, not so much for temperature control, but for the release of fumes.

It really keeps the sound in well. The extruder motor is outside the box, so that makes a bit of noise still. I'll make some kind of box for it, after i'm done with deciding how to place the whole thing.

The ambient temperature during a print is about 45C.

All in all I'm happy with the result.

• 3 weeks later...