Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
punpunm

UM2 adaptor noice, extruder fail

Dear all,

I got this problem for about half years, but I can't fix this problem.

My adapter has some noise when my UM2 is running, then my extruder motor fail to turn a full circle.

First I thought that is my extruder sucks, so the motor can't push the PLA to the extruder. I replace a new extruder for my machine, but I still get this problem.

Then I hear my adapter has some noise, so I think there is not enough power to heat the extruder constantly and the temperature is less then the melting point for PLA, such that the extruder motor can't push the PLA to the extruder.

When the adapter get louder, the printing quality will get lower. Here is my adapter sound and extruder motor video.

Adapter: http://youtu.be/9CS5L8Mr4cY

Extruder: http://youtu.be/X7NM381hLOE

Printing: http://postimg.org/image/ncu0t5l3x/

The tension of my extruder is not the problem, because I have try tight and loose tension.

Hi,

The feeder is skipping (turning backward) because too much pressure is required to advance the filament in the extruder.

When you replaced the nozzle did you change the teflon piece as well (white piece about the nozzle)?

Pressure can come from a deformed teflon insulator, damaged bowden tube, clogged nozzle, badly inserted bowden tube near the nozzle (too tight), print temp too low and possibly from dirty feeder.

I dont know what the adapter noise is and if it could affect the behavior of the printer. If so then maybe the printer is not getting enough power and normal torch on the feeder is not achievable?

If there isn't enough power to the nozzle, possibly due to a faulty adapter, I would imagine that the printer would never get started since it would perpetually be waiting to heat the nozzle.

Maybe the thermal sensor could be broken too? I "test" nozzle temperature by putting some filament up against it on the exterior of the nozzle. If it's hot enough the filament should start melting. If it doesn't melt, then you probably have a temp problem. If it does melt, then my guess is that something is wrong with your feeder / nozzle pathway.