Is it necessary to print layer by layer?

ppaanngggg

Posted · Is it necessary to print layer by layer?

(sorry for my poor english...)

I wonder whether it is necessary to print layer by layer from bottom to up for one model using cura.

For example, when print one model with two peak, is it possible to print one peak after finishing the other peak?

I have googled, but I didn't find answer...

Not to my knowledge. What the slicer does is to compute the model, layer by layer, no way around this.

The thing is, if you first printed one peak, then "go down" and start printing the second peak, the head could run into the first peak and knock the model down.

You can indeed print two different models sequentially on the same plate, first one, then the other, but this is another story.

(sorry for my poor english...)

I wonder whether it is necessary to print layer by layer from bottom to up for one model using cura.

For example, when print one model with two peak, is it possible to print one peak after finishing the other peak?

I have googled, but I didn't find answer...

Cura doesn't do this and it would be challenging to write robust (and fast) code that would be able to do a very good job of recognizing when it could divide up a model this way.

You could however probably do it manually. This would involve creating to versions of your model. One with one peak and one with the other. You would load one model into Cura and get the gcode for it. Then load the other model into the exact same position as the first. You would then copy the gcode for the second peak and (with a few modifications) paste it to the end of the gcode for the model with the first peak. Totally a pain to do, but totally possible.

Not to my knowledge. What the slicer does is to compute the model, layer by layer, no way around this.

The thing is, if you first printed one peak, then "go down" and start printing the second peak, the head could run into the first peak and knock the model down.

You can indeed print two different models sequentially on the same plate, first one, then the other, but this is another story.

Cura doesn't do this and it would be challenging to write robust (and fast) code that would be able to do a very good job of recognizing when it could divide up a model this way.

You could however probably do it manually. This would involve creating to versions of your model. One with one peak and one with the other. You would load one model into Cura and get the gcode for it. Then load the other model into the exact same position as the first. You would then copy the gcode for the second peak and (with a few modifications) paste it to the end of the gcode for the model with the first peak. Totally a pain to do, but totally possible.

Thank you. I want it to print necessarily layer by layer :)

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Additionally to what have been told you also need to take into account the time spent on a layer. If you have a thin tower the printer might have to slow down on a layer because it need to give it some cooling time (see minimum layer time advanced settings) and so it could raise the print time quite a bit. If the tower is too thin the printer might not be able to let the layer cool down enough (see minimum speed in expert settings) and the results will be melted plastic because the nozzle stay in contact for too long with the plastic like this:

IMG 2853[1]

If thats the case you can use Cool head lift settings in the expert settings.

So printing individual towers could lead to more problems.

While in theory this can be done, in practice however, is complex to add the code for it, and it has limited use cases.