Some brown crap just came out of my nozzle, should I be worried?

ggalisky

Posted · Some brown crap just came out of my nozzle, should I be worried?

Here is a picture: You can see some of it on the outside skirt

rkUJCDE.jpg

I really have no idea what I should do. It has done this twice, and after each time I have done a few cold pulls and printed at 260c for 5min. Got my finger crossed that this is nothing. What do you guys think?

This is residue from "cooked" filament.

Especially, if PLA based filament is left in the nozzle at much more than 220 it turns into black goo,

the moisture evaporizes and the leftover is burned..

Frequently switching between ABS and PLA is one cause for this problem, some PLA is left in the

hot end, and when you ramp up to 260 for ABS the PLA residue is really burned.

Did you print wood?

260/85 pulls with ABS is what I recommend!

Taken out of context, this topic can make you do a double take :eek:

If the ABS pulls don't work, you may have to take the hot end out and manually clean the inside. I've done that by heating up the element, pushing a small length of ABS directly into it, rotating it around a bit to try and break free the burned part, then pull it back out.

If the filament snaps while doing this, leaving some inside, small needle nose pliers come in handy. I was kinda surprised when the filament turned into a taffy-like consistency. I thought it would turn more like pancake batter when heated up instead of that thick, gum-like goo. You can also try gently screwing a deck screw into the goo and pull. Don't want to go in so far to scar up the brass, so be careful. Maybe an ABS printed deck screw? Hmmmm... Would be thicker than just the filament, so wouldn't snap off as easy and wouldn't scratch the brass at all.

Good luck!