Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Titus

2D-3D tool

Not sure if right place, but:

I used to have different ways to take a JPG/PNG and get it to STL to print it depending on the setting. Sometimes CURA does a good job, some lithography stuff is nice in those customizable thingiverse things. For simple shapes I trace it in Solidworks, others I redesign in OpenScad.

However, this tool seems to perform quite well for shapes, logo's etc.

http://www.selva3d.com/

It has great smoothing/vectorlike effects on contours. That is something that Cura seems to mess up completely.

Any thoughts?

Funky... Like the simplicity of just posting something to a website and downloading the result, but find it kind of odd that there are next to no settings at all to play around with "picture" or "logo", almost dosn't count...

I have previously myself had quite good success with using Photoshop CS6 3d features...

Just tried the basic tool, like the speed and simplicity but the basic stl quality is poor and a good stl costs $2,5 wich is way to much imho for 1 conversion.... so no thank you

• Like 1

Hmm, I wish you all the best  and like the simplicity of the service..... but buying $50,- of credits, still no thank you .... I guess I'm used to free internet services.

Also the service really needs more export options, like .step files

Do like the 5 free credits though to be able to try the service.

selva3d.thumb.jpg.a62c8239b6b96459bab851a7e14f6e8f.jpg

selva3d.thumb.jpg.a62c8239b6b96459bab851a7e14f6e8f.jpg

Edited by Guest

I use several paths for 2d-3d.

1. thingiverse objects that allow it

2. thingiverse image to surface page then openSCAD

3. scripts on ubuntu using imagmagick>pgm2surf.py>command line openSCAD

4. inkscape to make a svg of the image then export to openSCAD with extension.

Each has it's advantages depending on what I am trying to accomplish.

funny I have never tried CURA, I need to give that a spin.