Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
kirash4

Brim settings

I'm printing some gears that have teeth on the inside. I need the outside brim to hold the piece down while printing and I'm using 15 lines), but I don't want/need the inside brim. It's a pain to clean it up between the teeth of the gear. Is there some way of controlling this? Using the latest Cura version.

If you find a way, let me know :p

For now, I manually add brim in the modeling program when it needs to be controlled. If my initial layer height is set to .2mm, Ill add a .2mm brim to the part and cut out areas I don't want it.

Try a skirt instead of a brim.

It does not always work, but most of the time skirt is on the outside only.

Set the skirt distance close to zero (but not zero -- e.g. 0.05mm)

A skirt isn't enough to hold the part down, which is why I'm using a brim. Guess I'll do it in the modeling software.

Correction: a skirt might work. I had forgotten that you can change the amount of lines that the skirt lays down. So if I set that to 0.05 for distance and tell it to lay down 10-15 lines, that ought to be enough. I'm off to try that right now.

Right: a brim is just a skirt with no spacing...

My experience is that if you enter 0 as distance it just behaves as a brim, but with a very small spacing it won't fill the inside -- 0.0001mm might even work. it is easy to check and experiment with the 'Layers' view...