Bad quality when printing a slope

ash802

Posted · Bad quality when printing a slope

Hi,

I printed a pyramid and the inside edge is not sharp as expected and the lines feels messy. The material I was using was XT from Colorfabb(though same situation happened with PLA). Nozzle Temp was set to 250c 60c for heating bed.

What might cause the problem?

BTW is that just me or the upload button for gallery is missing? Can't add a picture here.

Thanks

BTW is that just me or the upload button for gallery is missing?

You have to validate your email. Try validating again. Or check your spam folder for messages from ultimaker. Or if you really can't figure it out post here again and I'll send you an email manually and validate you the hard way but it may take a day or two if I don't check back here for a while.

Hi,

I printed a pyramid and the inside edge is not sharp as expected and the lines feels messy. The material I was using was XT from Colorfabb(though same situation happened with PLA). Nozzle Temp was set to 250c 60c for heating bed.

What might cause the problem?

Some important facts are still lacking...

- which printer?

- printing speed?

- fan?

- layer height?

- nozzle diameter?

General advices are:

- try to print a bit cooler (nozzle 245°C)

- bed temperature is little bit low for XT, try 75°C

- try to print slower

- use more fan

- try to vary the layer height

convex overhang surfaces are difficult to print. The plastic cools a bit in milliseconds and is already shrinking as it comes out of the nozzle and it acts more like snot than water. Kind of like a liquid elastic. The pulling forces towards the nozzle work in your favor under the lower overhang in the pyramid but under the 4 supports it works against you lifting those edges up which can get hit by the nozzle.

The best fix is usually to increase fan but those are pretty good results - I don't think you can get much better than that on that kind of angle. More info here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4094-raised-edges/

Skip right to "page 2" and look at foehnstrum's video and read all the posts after that possibly. It's not until around post #39 and later that we really begin to understand what causes the issue.