problem with dyed nylon prints

Posted · problem with dyed nylon prints

so ive been dyeing a lot of nylon (taulman bridge) recently and just noticed that after a few days or so this white powder appears on them, i can brush it off with my hand but what is going on here?11008072_790170581061510_1710280235989424100_n.jpg?oh=24ae1d309834bb72305a1a0d72ea5973&oe=557FE8C6

now that I think of it it might have something to do with the parts not being 100% infill. some of the nylon of dyed has been perfectly fine, but those prints were 100% infill. these ones that are turning out weird have all had 20% infill or less.

maybe the dyes are a salt and dryin out on the surface like you say?

I had more success dying the actual filament before the printing - I found that the nylon stiffens slightly after printing compared to the 'natural' printed un dyed.

But love the effect!

Which nylon are you using?