Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
3dnerd

Top surface not closed

Hi,

from my very 1st print with the UM2 (which is now 6 weeks ago) up to now I see in my print results small thin gaps between the filament paths of the very top layer.

Take a look here:

gjPzYHQ.jpg

You can see dark lines between the filament paths. On the right side it is much better. I checked different parts I printed and there is almost every time an area where paths to not fuse together smoothly and show these very thin gaps.

I used different materials already, but almost same problem. Bed is levelled and I get a

homogenous 1st layer.

Here the settings I used for the part on the photo:

Material: Innofil PLA green, printed at 230°

- Layer height 0.15 mm

- Shell thickness 1.2 mm

- Bottom/Top thickness 0.9 mm

- Fill density 25%

- Initial layer thickness: 0.2 mm

- Travel speed 150 mm/s

- Bottom layer speed 20 mm/s

- Infill speed 80 mm/s

- Top/bottom speed 30 mm/s

- Outer shell speed 20 mm/s

- Inner shell speed 20 mm/s

So what I have to tweak to get the top surface more smooth and closed?

Thanks!

I would try equalising your infill speed and your perimeter speed and see what happens. You are asking the machine to move from 20mm/s to 80mm/s and I am betting it takes some time to get that new pressure equalised. Once it does you the get your section of perfect infill.