Top surface not closed

3dnerd

Posted · Top surface not closed

Hi,

from my very 1st print with the UM2 (which is now 6 weeks ago) up to now I see in my print results small thin gaps between the filament paths of the very top layer.

Take a look here:

gjPzYHQ.jpg

You can see dark lines between the filament paths. On the right side it is much better. I checked different parts I printed and there is almost every time an area where paths to not fuse together smoothly and show these very thin gaps.

I used different materials already, but almost same problem. Bed is levelled and I get a

homogenous 1st layer.

Here the settings I used for the part on the photo:

Material: Innofil PLA green, printed at 230°

- Layer height 0.15 mm

- Shell thickness 1.2 mm

- Bottom/Top thickness 0.9 mm

- Fill density 25%

- Initial layer thickness: 0.2 mm

- Travel speed 150 mm/s

- Bottom layer speed 20 mm/s

- Infill speed 80 mm/s

- Top/bottom speed 30 mm/s

- Outer shell speed 20 mm/s

- Inner shell speed 20 mm/s

So what I have to tweak to get the top surface more smooth and closed?

Thanks!

Posted · Top surface not closed

I would try equalising your infill speed and your perimeter speed and see what happens. You are asking the machine to move from 20mm/s to 80mm/s and I am betting it takes some time to get that new pressure equalised. Once it does you the get your section of perfect infill.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies