Print moving to side each layer :(

Posted · Print moving to side each layer :(

Ok, I just got my ultimaker, I have had some successful prints but after prints the layers got messed up, If I print a straight wall it becomes angled. Every layer mover over a little, on the z axis only. The prints are not just angled a little,a tall object looks like a flight of stairs :( .i watched the print and did not see anything slipping so it might be a software problem. (I'm using replicator g) however this only happens on the z axis. The extruded head is not touching the object. Btw this is more likely to happen on a print with a lot of gaps ( when it is not extruding).

Any ideas? :roll:

It's a mechanical problem, not a software problem. (I guarantee you this) The position of the head is not moving as instructed, this usually happens during fast moves where there is more chance to go something wrong.

It could be the small belts from the motors to the axes that are skipping over the pulleys, make sure the those belts are thigh by unscrewing the motors a bit, and pushing them down. Then screw them very tight.

It could also be a lose pulley, make sure all pulleys are secured to the axes.

It could also be too little motor power, but this is very rare these days, check the other 2 causes first.

I tightened everything and it still prints weird, are you sure it's not a software proble, some files always turn out perfect while others look like stairs, speed doesent mater, every print looks the same, every layer is shifted. :cry:

I'm pretty sure it's not a software problem. Unless you are using a very old firmware version, but I think even kits ship with a newer firmware then the one that had these problems.

Once the motors are powered, is it easy to move the printer head by hand? It should not be impossible with motor power on it, but you should feel quite a bit of force working against you.

I have the latest firmware, when the motors are powered I can still move the head, but the movement is not even, when I push hard i feel something give away and the head moves 2in. It also makes a ckrrrrrrrrrk noise when it moves. Not sure if something is slipping or the motor is making that noise.

when you move head you can see belts is they are slipping , right ?

so look

I have excately the same problem with the Ultimaker, while it's printing the object i've choosen after few layers it is printing the next layer 0.5-1cm to the Y axis.

What is the cause of this problem?

Likely that your pulleys are slipping, check their grub screws are done up tightly to the rods. Large single layer slipping like that is more than just loose belts.