Accessory Purchases for new user

benjamin-krygsheld

Posted · Accessory Purchases for new user

I just purchased a new Ultimaker 2, and am in the waiting period for manufacturing and delivery. I'm curious what, if any, accessories and tools folks would recommend for someones first 3d printer so that I'm ready to rock and roll when my printer is delivered.

The best thing you can do before receiving it is being on this forum and reading as much as you can, there are a lot of things to learn!

Except that for me you don't need anything in particular

I would recomend making yourself a lazy Susan base, that way if you want access to the rear of the machine to access the filament feeder etc. you can just spin it round.

I used a 300mm lazy Susan bearing, and a good 18mm thick wooden shelf from a DIY store, along with some rubber feet. cutting one long length of board for the base mount the bearing on it then the top board for the printer to rest on. My bottom board is long enough to rest against the wall and that the top board can rotate without hitting the wall. I have also cut a large hole through both boards at the bearing centre so that the leads (power and USB) can be feed through and out.

This little accessory gives me very easy access to all side of my machine very quickly, for Filament changes.

glas knive to remove material from the glass bed without touching the glass with your fingers, no force needed, PLA will get loose after cooling enough. Just to make sure your fingers don't grease the glass so you can print on clean glass with no need for glue.

glasKnive

clips to secure filament to the side of the spool when not in use;

paper clamp

I would recomend making yourself a lazy Susan base, that way if you want access to the rear of the machine to access the filament feeder etc. you can just spin it round.

I used a 300mm lazy Susan bearing, and a good 18mm thick wooden shelf from a DIY store, along with some rubber feet. cutting one long length of board for the base mount the bearing on it then the top board for the printer to rest on. My bottom board is long enough to rest against the wall and that the top board can rotate without hitting the wall. I have also cut a large hole through both boards at the bearing centre so that the leads (power and USB) can be feed through and out.

This little accessory gives me very easy access to all side of my machine very quickly, for Filament changes.

Izzy very interesting. Any chance you can post a picture of your setup?

Benjamin I suggest you buy a couple of replacement teflon couplers, so that when it's time to change it (after 3-400 hours of printing), you won't have to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery.

Managed to take some photos of my lazy susan mounting base, plus a small video,

dimensions of the base board are 520mm long x 400mm wide,

top board is 400mm square, both 18mm thick. from home base

the bearing is a 12" or 300mm round lazy susan bearing (I got mine from Bearing shop UK £13.08 + p&p)

IMG 0296

IMG 0300

IMG 0302

IMG 0304

IMG 0312

IMG 0308

012f34a6adab3293a966fd7579ba916e3f9bbb7cd5

• Like 1

Izzy very smart, very nice, thanks for sharing the photos! When I enlarge it says I do not have permission to see the photos, any setting to make them "public"?

Album now made public, hope you can see them now

Izzy beautiful job, solves an important problem for the placement of the UM2. Indeed the fact that you have to access the back easily is kind of limiting on where you can place the machine and this is a nice solution. Will look into the thing, thank you!