Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
calinb

Single line support structures?

It would be nice to be able to make very thin support lines (not loops). Is there any way to do this in Cura? Even when set to 1%, I spend too much time cutting and sanding support away from nylon prints with a Dremel tool.

Alternatively, I spend too much time designing support into my solid models, and even then, I run into the problem that Cura makes only looped paths. Accordingly, placing the very smallest pillars that Cura will "see" and "sample" into the model works best for nylon, in my experience.

If Cura could extrude the thinnest possible single support line, it would be very helpful.

Thanks,

-Cal

Just an idea, ofc I have not tried it yet. What if you create the man-made-supports with a 'second extruder' and you set that extruder to less flow, or smaller nozzle? Then you edit the gcode to rename the extruder 2 usage to extruder 1, then the area that it's supported should have less material, even understrusion maybe? This way they should be weaker? Maybe with the proper running they might even be easier to break apart.. umm I think I must try this :D

Edit: I think you can choose the supports to be done by a second extruder, then that extruder should have it's own specifications. Then the rest should be just a search&replace

If you select LINES support then the support consists of just straight lines, or walls with a thickness of 1 line.

Are you talking about grid support?

In the new Cura, there will be a third option, called zigzag, which is somewhere in between the two.

As neotko rightfully noted: you can specify the support to be done by the second extruder.

Or are you talking about custom designed support meshes?

@Neotko: Your idea still results in double lines, which is just the thing calinb is trying to avoid.

Just an idea, ofc I have not tried it yet. What if you create the man-made-supports with a 'second extruder' and you set that extruder to less flow, or smaller nozzle? Then you edit the gcode to rename the extruder 2 usage to extruder 1, then the area that it's supported should have less material, even understrusion maybe? This way they should be weaker? Maybe with the proper running they might even be easier to break apart.. umm I think I must try this :D

Edit: I think you can choose the supports to be done by a second extruder, then that extruder should have it's own specifications. Then the rest should be just a search&replace

I think your idea would realize an improvement to some extent, Neotko, but a second extruder is a lot of extra hardware, complexity, and cost to accomplish something that can be completely solved in software.

If you select LINES support then the support consists of just straight lines, or walls with a thickness of 1 line.

I am using LINES already. Look at the gcode with a gcode viewer (perhaps the one in Cura but I use Replicator-Host). Line are not really lines; they are doubled lines (loops).

In the new Cura, there will be a third option, called zigzag, which is somewhere in between the two.

If the zigzags are not loops, this would help.

Or are you talking about custom designed support meshes?

I must often resort to custom support (or the old netfabb slicer, which will can provide support as thin or thinner than I'd ever use).

: Your idea still results in double lines, which is just the thing calinb is trying to avoid.

Yes--but the lines would be thinner doubled lines. :)/:( However, I have no plans to install a second extruder system.