Broken Brass Nozzle

thirdeyeguy

Posted · Broken Brass Nozzle

Hello,

I accidentally broke the brass nozzle with the screw part stuck inside the heater block while attempting to fix a PLA leaking issue. What would be the best way to remove the broken screw from inside the heater block? And how can I purchase a new brass nozzle? I've already submitted a sales ticket btw w/ reference #RKF-914-64192 and have not received any type of response.

Have a wonderful day.

Could be that you need to replace the heater cartridge and the temperature sensor too, depending on the way it is broken. I think I would try to take a Dremel to cut a new slit into the broken screw. Do you have a picture?

For parts, check http://3dsolex.com/ they sell the replacement parts and an alternative heating block that has exchangeable nozzles.

What machine do you use? UMO or UM2?

On umo you could unscrew the part left inside. If you had pla leaking probably was because the nozzle must be set in place cold (not fully) then heating the hotend to 150-200 you tight (no need for brute force just until it's ok).

On umo you can use many M6 nozzles. The ones from ultimaker/reprap/e3d. If you use E3D nozzles you will need to move the bed stop since the length it's different. There are a few good videos onyoutube about changing nozzles.

If your machine it's um2. Then as reibuehl said you might want to take the opportunity and get an olsson block.

The part left inside (if your machhine its the umo) the problem should be that without heat you might damage the block unscrewing it. Also get proper heat gloves. I got a small burn of 0.4mm because I didn't use it the first time I changed nozzles.

Thank you both for your help! I have a umo atm but an olsson block sounds awesome for whenever I decide to upgrade. Neotko, I believe you are right, I did set the nozzle cold. I will definitely follow your advice as soon as I receive my new nozzle.

All the Best.

ThirdEyeGuy

Olsson it's only for um2, on umo you have more freedom to use stock with many m6 nozzles.

Btw I found the video I saw while I was waiting my UMO+ to arrive. It's a nice video about changing nozzles, and heat, and etc. It will give you the basics really nice.

You could try using the torque wrench I designed for the UM2/"Olsson block" for nozzle changes on the UMO: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/nozzle-torque-wrench

Most nozzles (including the UMO) has the same M6-thread and similar design of the sealing surface, so I think the torque wrench might be suitable for many 3D-printer models.

The torque wrench prevents you from overtightening the nozzle and prevents accidents in case you forgot which way to turn to unscrew the nozzle.

You need a 10 mm socket for the UMO nozzle.